Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Uh. Oh! The trouble has begun.

My new Dell Mini was working great until this afternoon. I had Microsoft Office installed, some web tools, etc...
But, then, I received a blue screen of death, and now the machine won't boot. It's as if the hard drive is bad, or no OS. Not a virus, because the Mini 9 comes with Mcafee for 30 days, and all of the Microsoft Patches were installed. I even installed the Dell PC Tuneup software.

The Error Message I receive is part of the Power On Self Test (POST):

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System Not Found

After a few hours of troubleshooting (on and off the phone) with Dell Technical Support, we finally decide I should send it back for repair. They put in a request to have a box shipped to me, with a label, for the return, under warranty.

Well, now it's going to be gone for a week or two for repair. Oh well!

NOTE: One thing I wanted to mention is that I also provide technical support as part of my job. It was obvious that the script this guy at Dell Tech support was following, was not yet updated to reflect this new Mini 9. It was for other DELL laptops. Maybe other Inspiron Laptops from Dell, but not the Dell Mini 9.

Research, on my own showed me that the problem was the hard drive, and that the above message is an indication that the bios tried to boot a CD, the Hard Drive, and eventually tried to boot over a network ethernet connection, but could not find any viable operating system, so it dies with an error.

No comments:

Post a Comment